Friday 6 February 2009

64 years of Nesta Robert Marley

I have a BMW, but only because BMW stands for Bob Marley and The Wailers, and not because I need an expensive car. - Nesta Robert Marley
Bob would have been 64 years old today. The man's genius is undeniable. But for some reason, on this birthday, I'm reminded of his wife Rita Marley, who endured his numerous affairs that produced several children; and who, even while admitting that she had been raped by Bob during their marriage, remains dedicated to preserving his musical legacy. As the music world stands in remembrance of Bob today, I'm giving a thought to the woman and family behind the man and his music.

3 comments:

  1. So, bar the musical genius,just your average Caribbean man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And how sad that rapist, philanderer and poor family man equates with "average Caribbean man."

    But it's a tough one, Cam. I don't feel capable of ceasing to stand in awe of his musical talent because of these things he did. And maybe I don't have to. But when people seem incapable of seeing their heroes as men, and really emulate EVERYTHING he did, it seems dangerous. And the "he's a genius so what do you expect" argument seems to diminish what Rita would have gone through. It's a conundrum.

    In the meantime ,I still enjoy his music and the wisdom of his words (one of my favourite quotes of all time is from War). And maybe that's alright too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with separating the man from the musician...but I also question Rita and the rest of the families motives behind preseving his legacy. I believe the financial kick backs are a huge incentive towards their decision making processes..and in some cases they go overboard. but some may argue that it may be payback for what he put her through

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence