Wednesday 28 January 2009

Father of The She-Wolf

I’m running off for a not-so-secret rendezvous with my good friend and favourite DJ. But before I do, I must take a minute to acknowledge the birthday of pioneering, abstract expressionist painter Jackson Pollock, who died tragically in a car crash in 1956 at the age of 44. His 1943 ‘The She-Wolf’ (pictured below) is still one of the most striking things I have ever seen on canvas. Why must all the geniuses die young?

If you haven’t yet seen Pollock, the film about his life and work, do. It features riveting performances by the brilliant and delicious Ed Harris as the title character, and Marcia Gay Harden as his wife Lee Krasner. Go see it! Now!

The mongoose shall return.

1 comment:

  1. One of his best performances. Yep everyone should go see Pollock. I am not into abstract art though, give me something I can identify without twisting myself in two!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence